Your partner is going through many changes. An unplanned pregnancy can leave you both feeling scared, depressed, and upset. You may also feel powerless in a culture that says, “it is her choice, not yours.” The truth is, any decision about the baby affects all of you. This is the time to speak up – and team up – with her, otherwise you could end up getting shut out. Doesn’t it make sense that you and your partner make this important decision together? After all, it’s your unborn child too!
There are some questions a guy needs to ask himself before becoming sexually active.
- If your partner became pregnant would you leave her?
- Are you ready to support a child with your time, energy and money for at least the next 18 years?
- Will you go with your partner to tell her parents the news?
- Are you willing to give your child a two-parent family?
- Know that you have no legal say in the choice your partner makes with the baby. She may decide to keep the baby or to have an abortion…in either case are you prepared to live with that decision for the rest of your life?
- Would you be willing to release your child for an adoption?
- Are you willing to learn all about abortion so that you can anticipate possible medical complications and possible relationship problems?
If you suspect that your partner is already pregnant, we want you to know that the Hope Pregnancy Centers of Brazos Valley has a wealth of resources and information that specifically address your needs as a man. We can provide you with accurate information and practical support regarding issues such as:
- Pregnancy options
- Rights and responsibilities of fathers
- How to become an effective father
- Establishing paternity
- How to support the baby’s mother
- Continuing your education
The decisions you make today will affect you for the rest of your life. Get the information you and your partner need. At the Hope Pregnancy Centers, we can help answer your questions and provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision.